Born in Lakewood, Ohio in 1907, Doris Hall studied painting in Provincetown, Massachusetts with the noted American artist Charles Hawthorne (1872 – 1930). She later returned to Ohio where she graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1928. Hall subsequently studied printmaking with Kalman Kubinyi, founder of the Cleveland Print Makers Club, whom she married in 1933.
Doris Hall first began to experiment with enameling in 1941, firing the enamels in a kiln her husband had built in their home. Fundamentally a colorist, Hall was attracted to the medium’s richly varied palette and its potential to suggest visual depth through layers of transparent and opaque enamels.
While Hall is most often acknowledged as the creative artist, she frequently collaborated with her husband on both the design and construction of her pieces. Kubinyi typically hammered out the metal forms that Hall decorated with her highly experimental designs. In 1950, the Kubinyis left Cleveland, the center of enameling in the mid-20th century, to move to Gloucester, Massachusetts where they established a workshop and studio. Hall died in New York in 2000.